Principal, Treasury Market Job at Standard Chartered Bank Kenya… See details on how to apply for the opportunities available at Standard Chartered Bank Kenya.
Standard Chartered Kenya, whose official name is Standard Chartered Bank Kenya Limited, but is sometimes referred to as Stanchart Kenya, is a commercial bank in Kenya.
- The job holder will assist the Head of Treasury Markets Kenya & East Africa on the daily running of the Treasury Markets Desk in the implementation of its strategy for optimal management of the country Balance Sheet. This covers the management of liquidity, credit risk, and interest rate mismatches, as well as own account discretionary investment positions.
- Assuming responsibility for Treasury Markets activities with guidance and oversight from Head FM & TM, including:
- Prudent day-to-day and intraday management of the liquidity position in the country, including the day-to-day compliance with Group Policies and Guidelines, Local Regulatory requirements, local payment system and intraday liquidity requirements.
- Maintenance of the bank’s presence in the inter-bank market to aid funding and investment activities.
- Management of both revenue and cost budgets.
- Achieve Financial Budgets through:
- Management of interest rate mismatch and risk positions to maximise returns (through P&L and MTM).
- Sourcing diversified and competitively priced funding.
- Managing operating costs.
The Job holder will also assist the Head of Treasury to ensure the Bank is adequately funded and has a funding strategy to meet planned asset/liabilities growth of the commercial balance sheet and has a strategy for managing liquidity contingencies.
TM business and risk management processes are defined and governed by various risk, governance and control committees (e.g. TM PGC, ALCO, Treasury Risk, etc).
The job holder will:
- Manage Intra-day cashflows and short-term funding of the local currency clearing account (RTGS/KEPSS), locally held foreign currency nostros as well as foreign currency nostros held offshore. The job holder will ensure that that any shortfalls or anomalies are investigated and resolved promptly.
- Forecast the Bank’s fund requirements through cash-flow preparation and maintaining a seven-day horizon forecast of future funding and assets needs.
- Understand regulatory ratios/requirements and pre-empt funding requirements or surpluses and advise Head of TM accordingly.
- Invest short-term surplus liquidity in the interbank market and assist the Head of Treasury Markets to determine medium-term investment opportunities in marketable securities.
- Assist the Head of Treasury Markets to monitor and manage the Bank’s investment portfolio including Government securities, Bills re-discounted, vertical, and horizontal Repos/Reverse Repos, interbank money market placements, foreign currency money market placements etc by investing optimally while strictly monitoring both counterparty credit limits, Treasury Risk and Traded Market Risk limits.
- Complete transaction records, Interest income/expenses etc., reconcile to Treasury Operations records, and report on achievements and outstanding issues at required frequencies, as appropriate on the product traded.
- Appraise the Head of TM market liquidity conditions, interest rate movements and any other issues pertaining to balance sheet, liquidity, and interest rates risk.
- Prepare daily/weekly/monthly market and liquidity market commentaries and regularly share relevant market trends, development and intelligence with the FM Team and Businesses, to ensure that the Bank derives maximum benefit from its networking potential.
- Provide reports and insights to Head of TM on the Balance Sheet, e.g., balance sheet movements, track changes in liquidity profiles, monitor Trading desk funding profiles etc.
- Produce weekly/periodic yield curves for the Bank’s marginal cost of funding in local and major foreign currencies on fixed deposits and share with our FM sales teams as deposit pricing guide.
- Review and approve daily reports including but not limited to Treasury Risk (TR), Traded Market Risk (TMR) and P&L reports.
- Track P&L and engage Treasury Markets Product Control to investigate any P&L anomalies.
- Prepare and disseminate daily FTP rates as per the Country’s FTP methodology.
- Respond to FTP requests from internal stakeholders for pricing loans and deposits beyond the daily FTP rate sheet thresholds, break funding costs and quoting currencies outside of rate sheet.
- Enhance the Bank’s reputation in the Markets, through personally demonstrating a high level of professionalism, and developing mutually beneficial working relationships with regulators, customers, agents, advisers, counterparties, etc
- Continuously improve TM processes and minimize operational risks through personal initiative, optimal use of the available resources/systems, such as using the information technology systems available, interacting with different units within the bank for continuous development and consequently deliver superior financial performance and while upholding high standards of controls.
- Any other ad-hoc tasks and projects as assigned by the line manager.
- Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment in area of responsibility. Managing multiple Financial Markets risks including Liquidity risk, market access risk, maturity concentration risk and interest rates risk of the Bank’s Balance sheet.
- Monitor the daily movement of group/ regulatory ratios, as per the country’s balance sheet manual and request for simulation impact large trade on the ratios when necessary.
- Monitor REFI, Wholesale Borrowing, Stress testing, MTFR and swapped funds guideline as detailed in the Treasury Risk. Flag any potential liquidity limit issues to the Head of TM for further action.
- Ensure a full understanding of the risk and control environment in area of responsibility.
- Ensure that any operational losses are investigated and monitored to avoid recurrence. Root causes to be investigated and escalated to relevant management.
- Ensure issues, suspicious activities and/or red flags are escalated immediately upon discovery, to the line manager or any other approved escalations procedures such as “Speaking up”.
Strategic Management of the Bank’s Balance Sheet Risks
- Ensure Statutory (both Group and local) Liquidity requirements and internal Group Limits are adhered to.
- Assist the Head of TM to lead the way in the ALCO forum through active participation, providing ALCO members with timely balance sheet analysis and market information, ensuring other ALCO members are always engaged in an up-to-date Balance Sheet strategy that compliments the bank’s revenues aspiration.
- Assist the Head of TM to propose, negotiate and regularly advise on the Funds Transfer Pricing for the Bank, in a consistent manner and in compliance with the Group policies, considering local market dynamics.
- Assist the Head of TM to support ALCO in decisions relating to Capital requirements and management, proposing investment strategies and market research.
- Support development of active RWA management and adherence to country targets.
- Show creativity when proposing solutions to specific funding problems, engineering solutions to support the Balance sheet.
Operational Management of the Country’s Balance Sheet Risks
- Monitor daily liquidity ensuring adherence to all internal and external limits.
- Maintain strategic capacity to meet stressed liquidity conditions if/when required.
- Ensure that all lending and investment decisions are made within Treasury Risk and Credit limits.
- Ensure that all internal and external regulatory requirements are met as appropriate.
- Support and develop the payment systems and ensure the Bank’s liquidity supports the capability of meeting customer payment needs.
- Liaise with other support departments to ensure we work as team to create efficiency in our work.
- Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework, in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group’s Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Comply with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Ensure money laundering prevention; requirements and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure the procedure of suspicious transactions monitoring within TM is adhered to.
- Report any issues related to money laundering prevention arising within the unit to Business MLPO.
- Communicate with Relationship Manager (RM) on money laundering requirements and suspicious transactions.
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Financial Markets Desk Heads and Dealers operating within country and other centres as needed.
- Relationship Team in CCIB and CPBB
- Treasury Markets staff within the Cluster and Region.
- Business and Country Finance.
- Treasury Risk.
- Traded Market Risk.
- Treasury Markets PC.
- FI, FIR and Credit Risk.
- Money Market and Fixed Income Dealers of other local banks and financial institutions.
- Central Bank of Kenya (OMO Desk).
- Fixed Income Brokers.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree in a commercial/financial discipline with good analytical skills and ability to make speedy and accurate decisions under pressure.
- Numerate, focused, responsive, excellent MS-Excel skills.
- A good understanding of Treasury Markets business, liquidity aspects, fixed income investments, market trends, and regulatory requirements.
- Ability to build and maintain good relationships with internal and external partners.
- A moderate degree of complexity to manage the cashflow processing real time.
- A high degree responsiveness in responding to numerous information flowing to Treasury Markets.
- The individual should be self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision
- Good judgement of opportunities arising in the market and act quickly to convert it into deals.
- Ability to analyse market trends and information to further business growth.
Role Specific Technical Skills And Competencies
- High proficiency level in the Microsoft Office suites (Excel, PowerPoint etc)
- Good Analytical and Presentation skills
- Ability to work within a team environment and own an initiative in pursuit of business objectives
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Application Deadline: 14 November. 2022